Thursday, November 27, 2008

Architects must feel like proud parents!!!


TURKEY DAY BLOG!!!

Ok so I have designed projects and projects and projects for sometime now for studio and various other architecture classes. But it's really interesting to see the work you design be built. I felt like some kind of parent watching his child grow! Well I haven't had any of my major work be built in the real world ( that would be even greater); however, in my Building Science class we have to build a sleeper which is just a place for a person to sleep in and to do work in if they have to. Its not anything like a house for five or cabin to move around it. I think of it as a sleeping bag that contains Semper’s Four Elements of Architecture...the hearth, mound, fence, and roof. Basically, I love to design, and was made head of the design committee for our project and it was hard. Especially trying to incorporate the billions of changes that the group decided on. However, I have made designs before in architecture class and built models for them. This was different though. Not only was the design going to get built, but I would also have a hand in construction. I have never built some I design or have every seen something I designed be erected into some kind of masterpiece. Its weird being the architect. When changes come along, people come to the architect and tell them if things go wrong or if they do not fully understand the design. It feels good....in a weird "I Love My Job" kind of way. However pics of the finish product will be posted soon!!!

1 comment:

Spencer F. said...

YES the sleeper keeper it was a stressful day!!!